Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Shabby Chic Headband

While it's admirable to want to donate your used clothing items, a large percentage of used clothes are placed in our landfill via the thrift stores we donate to. Unless your items are in pristine condition, see if you can upcycle (or in other words, find a new use for them). My mother recently gave me shirts, skirts, and sweaters she no longer wanted. I took in a 90% cotton, 10% Spandex gray/black shirt. I cut a few inches off the length, cutting across horizontally. Then cut that piece once vertically, and cut those two pieces down the middle horizontally again. With the four strips, I took three and tied a rubber band around one end. I held the secured end between my knees (use your teeth if you're feeling particularly barbaric). I then proceeded to braid the three pieces of fabric together, conjoined the two ends by tying a knot with the fourth piece and removing the band. I made sure the fit was up to par before securing the knot with a few stitches. Trim ends if desired. Voila! Shabby chic headband.

No comments:

Post a Comment